Easter 2015 is over but the charm remains yet. Isn’t it? I was set for the occasion with Traditional songs and Easter recipes. The games including Easter eggs, basket hunt and the Easter bunny were really exciting and my family thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope you enjoyed my last blog, Hot Cross Buns. Preparing Simnel cake is a tradition followed in many countries and I followed the same. The cake is decorated with toasted marzipan balls, that represent 11 Apostles. Judas is not included here.
According to Bible, the Apostles were major disciples of Jesus and the central figure in Christianity. Just like hot cross buns, there are several legendary stories associated to the cake. Simnel name for the cake came from brother, Simon and sister, Nell. Together they make Simnel. One decided to bake the cake while other decided to boil. Therefore in most of the cases, this cake consists of both Bake and Boil method. I have used baking only. Hope you’ve shared the sweetness of Easter Simnel Cake with your loved ones.
For the Cake:-
200 grams Butter,
90 grams Currants,
1 grated Zest Lemon,
175 grams Sultanas,
175 grams Self-raising Flour,
175 grams Muscovado Sugar,
1 teaspoon Ground Mixed Spice,
30 grams chopped Candied Peel,
90 grams chopped Dried Cherries.
1 Egg white,
500 grams Almond Paste,
2 tablespoons Apricot Jam,
11 toasted Marzipan Balls.
1. Take one-third of almond paste. Using the base of the cake tin, cut an 18 centimetre round. Oil the cake tin and set the bottom and side with greaseproof paper.
2. Combine all the cake ingredients in a bowl. Beat well. Spoon half of the cake mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Top with the round of almond paste.
3. Now spoon the remaining cake mixture on top and level the surface. Bake at 150 D.C for two hours or until golden brown. Cover the top of the cake with greaseproof paper if it is browning too quickly.
4. Cool for 10 minutes. Warm the jam and brush the top of the cake with it. To decorate the cake, take half of the remaining almond paste and place above the surface. Put on top of the jam and crimp the edges.
5. Place toasted marzipan balls on the surface. Place under a hot grill for one to two minutes, until the balls are golden. Serve!