Here comes the yum yum rice, Kashmiri Pulao, the Indian cuisine !!! Perfect recipe for zapping a bad mood. With richness of cashews, almonds and walnuts, the Kashmir origin dish has a unique flavor of its own. The mild and sweet flavor comes from aromatic spices making the recipe simply irresistible.
The aristocrat rich saffron is a perfect booster for the tingling taste buds. Dry fruits give warmth and are perfect for cold climate of Kashmir, India. Pulao is cooked with dry fruits and can be garnished with fresh fruits such as pineapple, cherries and pomegranate. So say cheers to winter with the hot and mildly sweet Kashmiri pulao.
For the Rice:-
2 Cups good quality rice, soaked for 30 mins,
1 Inch cinnamon,
1 Tsp caraway seeds,
3 Green cardamoms,
2 Black cardamoms,
½ Teaspoon dry ginger powder,
1 Teaspoon fennel powder,
2 Pinches of saffron,
2 Tablespoon clarified butter,
41/4 Cups water,
Salt as required
1 Medium sized sliced onion,
2 Tablespoon oil
1. Heat clarified butter in a deep pan. On a low or medium flame, add all the whole spices. Fry till the oil becomes fragrant.
2. Now lower the flame, add the ginger and fennel powder and stir. Add the soaked and drained rice and stir gently.
3. Add crushed saffron and saute for a minute. Pour water and salt. Stir and cover the pan tightly. When the rice is cooking, prepare the garnish.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Add the sliced onions. Also add a pinch of salt and fry the onions till they are golden or caramelized and crisp.
5. Remove and drain on paper tissues. In the same oil, first fry the almonds till they become crisp.
6. Now fry the cashews and walnuts till they are crisp and lightly browned and cook the rice till all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
7. When done, fluff the rice. Chopped stir fried seasonal fruits can be added.
8. Serve dried fruit fried rice or kashmiri pulao hot. Garnish with the fried onions and dry fruits.
Enjoy Aromatic Rice!!!