Lohri is one of the major winter festivals of North India. It is celebrated every year on January 13, to mark the day of Uttarayan or sun’s journey towards north. Indian markets are flooded with “Chikki” throughout winter. Chikki is a traditional ready-to-eat Indian sweet generally made up of groundnuts, dry fruits and jaggery. There are several different varieties of chikki like sesame chikki, dried chikki Maewo, peanuts chikki, gram dal chikki etc.
Chikki is very beneficial to health. It contains proteins and iron. Jaggery helps in cleansing the body and acts as a digestive agent. It satisfies the sweet tooth completely. On this joyous night, sing heartily, dance merrily on the dhol(drum) beats around the bonfire with your family and friends. Say goodbye to winter and welcome Lohri with Groundnut Chikki.
250 grams of peanut seeds,
250 grams Jaggery,
1 1/2 teaspoon Ghee/Clarified butter
1. Roast peanuts until brown. Do not roast in the microwave for more than 2 minutes. Peel off skins on cooling.
2. Put a teaspoon of ghee in a frying pan and heat.
3. Prepare the jaggery syrup. Allow the jaggery to melt in the frying pan for 4 minutes or until the completely melted and frothy.
4. Now add peanuts and mix well for around 3 minutes. Grease the plate with clarified butter. Add the mixture.
5. Cut into diamond or square shape when warm with the help of sharp knife.
6. Preserve in glass jars when cool.
Say Happy Lohri with your favorite Chikki!!