Gluten free diet is full of challenges. A gluten-free diet is the one that excludes the protein gluten. Gluten is found in wheat, barley, rye and triticale. This must be avoided by the people allergic to it. Celiac disease can be treated by intake of gluten-free diet. This diet is composed of eggs, beans, seeds, nuts, meats, fish and poultry, fruits and vegetables. We can definitely have a healthy and delicious gluten-free diet. There are many creative ways to enhance the taste and make gluten free diet really interesting.
The best way to finish your Christmas meal is savoring upon a traditional Christmas pudding. Although pudding is associated with the Christmas, it has significance on Easter as well. The decorative sprig of holly on top of the pudding reminds us of Lord Jesus crown of thorns worn by him, when he was crucified. Here we have the ‘Crazy Currants Christmas Pudding’ which is absolutely gluten free. It has taste buds and health as prime components.
125 grams Raisins,
125 grams Sultanas,
75 grams Currants,
50 grams Mixed Peel,
50 grams Prunes,
50 grams Apricots,
50 grams Oil,
100 grams Gluten Free White Blend,
100 grams Sugar,
2 teaspoons Mixed Spice,
1 Orange Rind Grated & Juice,
1 Lemon Rind Grated & Juice
Preparation method :-
1. Mix together the raisins, sultanas, currants, mixed peel, flour, sugar and mixed spice. Chop the prunes and apricots and stir these into the bowl.
2. Mix in the oil, grated lemon and orange rinds and juices. Stir well and leave to stand for at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. Grease the sides of a pudding basin then cut two circles of greaseproof paper and reserve these.
4. Stir the mixture again then press the mixture into the pudding basin. Cover the top of the puddings with the greaseproof paper circles.
5. Spread tin foil over the top of the pudding basin tucking it in well around the outer rim.
6. Place the pudding basin in saucepan. Then fill with water until it is half way up basin. Put the lid on the saucepan and boil for 5 hours.
7. Carefully remove the pudding and cool without removing the foil or greaseproof. Store the pudding until required.
8. Before eating, remove and refresh the greaseproof and foil layers. Place the pudding basin in saucepan then fill with water until it is half way up basin.
9. Steam for a further two hours. Put a plate on top of the pudding bowl and carefully invert the pudding.
10. Serve warm!!
Taste and health should go hand in hand. Enjoy the Gluten-free Pudding on the auspicious festival of Christmas with your loved ones and stay fit!