This satiny smooth Red Velvet Cake is traditionally a layered cake which has dark red or reddish brown color with mushy cream set in between each layer. Originated in the United States, the cake is pitch dark red due to the reaction of mixing vinegar and butter milk in it. The food color further intensifies its crimson hue making it even more appealing to eyes.
It is indeed one of the most luscious American bakery products. It is a common highlight of serving tables on various occasions like wedding, birthday parties, get-togethers, etc. Owing to its unique color and cocoa flavor, it is gaining immense popularity all over the world. White or cream cheese frosting is used for topping which is in contrast to the dark red color, giving it a heavenly appearance. Also have a look at red velvet cookies.
2-1/2 cups cake flour,
1 teaspoon salt,
1 cup unsalted butter,
1-1/2 cup granulated sugar,
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder,
1 ounce red food coloring,
1-1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla,
1 cup buttermilk,
1 teaspoon cider or white vinegar,
1 teaspoon baking soda.
1. Preheat the oven at 350 D. F for twenty minutes before baking the cake.
2. Take a bowl and mix salt and flour. Keep it aside. In another bowl, mix sugar and butter. Keep on beating until the mixture is fluffy. Add eggs and blend well.
3. Take a small bowl. Add cocoa powder, vanilla extract and food color. Mix it with the butter and flour mixture. Now add butter milk and blend well.
4. After this take a small cup and add baking soda and vinegar. Stir this fizzy mixture to the batter and beat well.
5. Put the cake mixture in the oven and bake well for 30 minutes until the cake is brown. Test with the help of knife. If it comes out to be clean, our cake is fully baked.
6. Allow the cake to cool. Cut the cake into three layers, horizontally. On each layer, add icing. Use any flavored cake icing of your choice.
7. Vanilla is a perfect flavor. One can also add white or cream cheese frosting.
Enjoy the creamy velvet like cake.